Indivisible HOPE together with ACLU’s People Power Lansdale wants to bring some light to different aspects of immigration and improve the community and police dialogue in our area.
41 million immigrants live in the United States and immigration has long supported the growth and dynamism of our economy. Immigrants and refugees are entrepreneurs, job creators, taxpayers, and consumers. But despite the positive impacts of immigrants on the United States’ economy and society, the tenor of the new administration threatens to move the United States to a more restrictive policy environment.
• What is current immigration policy?
• What is the current status of DACA children?
• Can local police act as immigration officers enforcing federal immigration policy?
• What are the rights of immigrants and refugees and are they covered by due process protections?
• Why is it important that you know about it?
Confirmed speakers and topics:
• Local Police Chiefs – local department accreditation, community policing and federal immigration policy
• HIAS – Current immigration & refugee policy
• CAIR – the impact of current policy on American Muslim communities
• Adoptee Rights Campaign – how current law endangers internationally adopted children
• Additional speakers to be confirmed